Do the words 'organic' and 'natural' beauty products sound familiar to you? Chances are, you've heard of these terms at one point or another, as the topic of natural and eco-friendly products is becoming an increasingly growing trend.
But does 'organic' mean anything to you? Are organic hair products really what they are hyped up to be, and are there truly any benefits of using them?
Well, our answer is - yes, of course. There are so many pros of using natural and organic hair products. If you want healthy and beautiful hair, that is.
In today's blog post we shine a light on the truth about traditional hair products and the benefits of organic ones.
A Little Somethin' You May Not Know About Your Shampoo
The truth is, traditional shampoos and conditioners contain synthetic chemicals that are harmful to our skin and overall health. That foamy, heaven-smelling goodness that lathers up in your hair actually contains many harmful ingredients such as sulfate, alcohol, silicone, parabens, and even traces of anti-freeze. At the end of this article, you can find a list of ingredients to avoid when buying your shampoo and conditioner.
Important: Don't just trust a product just because it says "Organic", as they are not all created equal, and sometimes are marketing ploys to get you to buy the stuff. Make sure to read the ingredients at the back to know what you are really getting.
How is Natural Shampoo Different, and How Does it Work?
Well, organic shampoos simply don't have the chemicals present in traditional shampoos. They contain natural ingredients like proteins, essential oils, vitamins, fruit extracts and so much other goodness. These ingredients in themselves are amazing nutrients for your hair. Natural shampoos also don't have the SLS ingredient, which means that they don't lather up as well. Don't worry - this doesn't mean that they don't clean your hair just as well. Simply give an extra rinse, and your hair will be just as clean and shiny as ever.
As some suggestions of products, we truly enjoy Rahua, John Masters, and Intelligent Nutrients. Super awesome bonus: they don't test on animals.
5 Reasons You Should Choose Organic
- Unlike traditional shampoos, they won't irritate and dry out your scalp, because they are soft and gentle.
- On the same note, lack of chemicals means that your hair won't be damaged or dried out.
- Do you have coloured hair? Organic shampoo is safe to use for you because it doesn't strip colour, and can actually make it look more radiant.
- All the nutrients, vitamins, and oils in natural shampoos will provide the nourishment your hair needs, making it healthy and beautiful.
- They are absolutely safe to use, so you don't need to be worried about ingesting harmful chemicals into your body and skin.
What to Avoid When Buying Your Hair Products
Here is a main list of ingredients you should avoid:
- Sodium laureth sulfate
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)
- Ammonium lauryl sulfate
- Diethanolamine (DEA)
- Triethanolamine (TEA)
- Polyethelyne glycol
- Alcohol (if listed as one of the first four ingredients)
- Synthetic Fragrance/Parfum
- Propylene Glycol (aka anti-freeze)
- Siloxanes (ending in -siloxane or -methicone)
Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Have you made the switch to organic hair products yet? Is there anything holding you back? Do you have any tested brands that you love? We'd love to hear about them in the comments below :)