If you're anything like us (aka always on Instagram) you know how popular these braids are! They are all over the place!
Well, today, we're taking it back to basics and going to teach you how to do a Dutch Braid step by step, so that you can take those cute Insta pics as well. Feel free to watch the video below or scroll down for text instructions.
If you want to have longer, thicker braids, clip-in hair extensions is the easiest, safest, and fastest way! Check out this blog post if you want to learn 6 reasons to choose clip-in hair extensions. Karin normally wears the Dirty Blonde Luxy Hair shade when she wants to add some highlights and volume to her hairstyles.
Get Your Own Luxy Hair
Okay, enough chit-chat - let's get started!
How To Dutch Braid: Step By Step
1. Take some hair at the top and separate it into 3 equal section - left, middle, and right.
2. Take the left section and cross is under the middle one.
3. Now take the right section, and cross it under the middle.
4. Now we will start adding more hair into our braid. Take a small section of the hair that's already down on the left side, and combine it with the current left section.
5. As always, cross them both under the middle.
6. Now do the same thing on the right side: take some hair and combine it with the right section.
7. Cross that combined section under the middle section.
8. And that's pretty much the whole technique! It may seem complicated at first, but as soon as you understand and learn the basics, you will be braiding a professional Dutch Braid in NO time. Continue doing the same thing all the way down until the nape of your neck. Add more hair in on the right, cross under the middle. Add more hair in on the left, cross under the middle. So repetitive - easy peasy!
9. When you get to the nape of your neck (are your arms hurting yet?! haha), check in the mirror to make sure that it looks like this:
10. And then take all the hair to the side and finish off with a regular 3 strand braid:
And you're all done!
Now that you know how to do a regular dutch braid, there are so many different creative hairstyles that you can do, incorporating this braid. Firstly, you can simply pull on the regular braid and 'pancake it' (aka making it more fluffy, just like pancakes) to get a more voluminous and looser braid. Or, you can try any of the following hair tutorials. Just click play to check it out!
Side Dutch Braid
Double Dutch Braid with Hair Extensions
Dutch Braid Updo
Dutch Braid Ponytail
Also in this series: how to do a waterfall braid